Skip to content

Navigating International Tax Obligations for Freelancers

May 10, 20245 minute read
Tax Obligation for Freelancer
Tax Obligation for Freelancer
Tax Obligation for Freelancer

As a freelancer, you may have the freedom to work from anywhere in the world, but this also means that you have to navigate through different tax laws and regulations. This can be daunting and overwhelming, especially if you’re not familiar with international tax obligations. In this guide, we will provide some basic information on how to manage your taxes as a freelancer working in multiple countries.

Understanding Tax Withholding for Non-Resident Freelancers

If you are a non-resident freelancer working outside the US, there is no need to withhold US taxes since your services are not performed within the country. This is also applicable for payments received from clients outside the US, as you are not subject to income tax in their respective countries. However, certain South American countries, such as Colombia and Ecuador, may withhold taxes on payments for services delivered outside their borders.

Exploring Publication 519: A Comprehensive Tax Guide

To gain further insights, refer to Publication 519, a tax guide specifically designed for U.S. citizens and resident aliens. This resource covers a wide range of topics, including withholding wages and taxes, as well as the distinction between employees and independent contractors. Navigating through the publication’s extensive content can be challenging, but the invaluable information it offers is worth the effort.

Notifying Employers About Alien Status

It is crucial to notify employers about your resident or non-resident alien status. This ensures that tax obligations are accurately determined and fulfilled. Also, understanding final payment exemptions and income withholding, covered in detail within Publication 519, is of utmost significance.

W8 BEN form for freelancer

A W8 BEN form, also known as the Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding and Reporting, is a document that freelancers must complete to claim tax treaty benefits or exempt income from withholding taxes. This form serves as proof of foreign status and helps determine the appropriate taxation for non-resident aliens.

W-9 Form

The W-9 form, also known as the Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification, is an IRS document used to gather information from individuals or businesses for tax purposes. It is commonly used by employers to request the individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) of independent contractors or freelancers.

The form includes personal identifying information, such as name, address, and social security number or employer identification number. The completed W-9 form is used by the employer to report payments made to the independent contractor to the IRS. It is important to accurately fill out and submit the W-9 form to ensure compliance with tax regulations.

To fulfill the requirements and prevent compliance issues, it is crucial to comprehend the distinction between the W-8BEN and W-9 forms, and accurately complete the appropriate form. Enhancing your understanding of these forms will help ensure compliance and avoid any potential issues.


In this blog post, we have delved into insightful advice on the topic of international tax obligations for freelancers. By understanding the nuances of tax withholding and obligations, individuals can navigate the international landscape with confidence and compliance.

Disclaimer: The information provided in this blog post is for general informational purposes only and should not be considered as professional tax advice. It is important to consult with a qualified tax professional or refer to official tax publications for specific guidance related to your individual circumstances.


What are my tax obligations as a freelancer working with international clients?

As a freelancer working with international clients, you need to report your income to your country’s tax authority, where it’s usually taxed. Check if there’s a tax treaty with the client’s country to prevent double taxation. Generally, your main tax obligations lie in your home country, though it’s good to know the tax rules in your client’s country too.

How do I avoid double taxation when working with clients from countries that have a tax treaty with my own?

Double taxation agreements (DTAs) between countries prevent income from being taxed twice. If you’re working with a client from a country with a DTA, you can claim relief under the treaty. This often involves declaring the income on your tax return and claiming a foreign tax credit or exemption as the treaty allows. It’s crucial to keep detailed records and consult a tax professional to ensure compliance.

Do I need to charge VAT or sales tax on services provided to international clients?

The requirement to charge VAT or sales tax on services for international clients depends on your and your client’s country’s tax laws. Exported services may be exempt, but there are exceptions and specific rules. Always check local tax regulations and consider consulting a tax advisor.

What records should I keep for tax purposes as an international freelancer?

Maintaining detailed records including invoices, contracts, receipts, and bank statements is crucial for tax compliance. Tracking business expenses can lower taxable income. Use digital tools for efficiency and keep documents for 3 to 7 years as required by tax authorities.

Can I deduct expenses related to my freelance work from my taxable income?

You can reduce your tax bill by deducting business expenses like office supplies, software, home office costs, professional development, and travel expenses for freelance work. Keep detailed records and understand tax rules for deductions. Consult a tax professional to legally maximize deductions.


You may also like to read

All you need to know to launch, run, and scale your company


EasyFiling Newsletter

Stay informed about the latest regulations, best practices, and industry trends in financial filing.

    By subscribing you agree to our Privacy Policy.